Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spinach in a smoothie and Closet Survival

Green Smoothie:
I finally decided to try the whole vegetables in a smoothie thing this morning, & it wasn't as terrible as I expected. Okay, it was actually edible. I'm impressed!

Here's how I roll with the Green Smoothie (the below made two - I forced Michael to experiment with me):
  • 1/2 c apple juice
  • 1 blueberry Chobani Greek yogurt cup
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
  • 1 banana
  • 2 1/2 c spinach
I will definitely be making this again. I estimated that it had about 200 calories, so we shall see if this keeps me full long enough to qualify as a breakfast. Are you a smoothie fan? What do you like to mix into your drink of choice?

Closet Survival:
Here's the background on my fashion "situation". I am currently in between sizes. I'm not small enough to wear my pre-children clothes from 6+ years ago, but I'm smaller than many of the things I bought to "get me through", you know when I foolishly assumed that I would be at this weight for a few months or so. When I bought the "get me through" items, I did not go for quality, but went for inexpensive items that would hold me over until I was rockin' my far nicer wardrobe - purchased back when I had a much larger disposable income. You know, pre kids. :-)

With that long-winded explanation, I decided to stop buying clothing, shoes, or makeup this year & focus on fitting back into what I already own, reign in my spending, & go through my closet ruthlessly getting rid of anything that is out of style, no longer fits, or just doesn't flatter.

So, every morning, I play Closet Survival. I pick an outfit & the item is either cute enough to be worn, or immediately goes into my donation basket. The only challenge is that I'm still not fitting appropriately into all of my older clothes, so I'm trying to hold off on wearing those for a few more months. By the end of the year, I hope to have weeded my closet down to the absolute best items, and then replace anything that I need.

I'll caveat this by saying I'm a terrible photographer & I really need to learn how to use my own camera. And figure out how to not make the flash appear in the mirror. And stop looking like a complete dufus when I take my pictures in the extremely glamorous bathroom at work. Please pardon my embarrassing expression.


Here's what I'm wearing today:
-Sexy security badge
-Ann Taylor Loft sweater, size Medium(you can't tell due to my awesome skills with the camera, but it's a deep purple color)
-Black Jcrew cords (from my previous skinny life), size 6. These are feeling very snug now that I'm sitting down.
-Ann Taylor Loft shooties.
-Black & gold Jcrew necklace.
-Deer in the headlights expression. .. all my own.

And, yesterday I couldn't get the shot (I know, it's shocking, what with my mad photo skills), but here's my attempt:



Again with the awesome face. Please don't be jealous.
-Black Banana Republic cashmere sweater, size small. Previous life.
-Gray wool Banana Republic skirt, size 6. Ditto above
-Black tights, Express I think. Size M/L
-Black Ann Klein boots.
-Silver necklace, origins unknown.

Monday:


I like to refer to this picture as the "Hips Don't Lie" shot. Ummmmm, who knew that my hips were so big?! Holy smokes.
-My office is freezing, so yes, that's a Helly Hansen black ski jacket with a fur hood that I'm wearing. Size small.
-Seven jeans, Shakira style. Size 29. Perhaps these need to find their way back to my closet for a while, until I can stop frightening small children.
-Cream Jcrew sweater, size Medium. You can't really see this, but underneath the coat.
-Black Ann Taylor Loft shooties

I'll try & post some of the items that didn't make the cut. If nothing else, this blog will hopefully showcase an improvement of my photography skills. . . because it can't get worse. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment