Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The love triangle

I think it's time for you to know that Wills & I go way back. Way back. Maybe that's why Kate is so jealous & won't invite me to their wedding?

Kate, not to worry. That thing with Wills is all in the past, and anyway, I prefer Prince Harry now.

Why yes, that is me posing with the royal couple at work, and forcing an unsuspecting coworker to take my picture. Doesn't everyone do that? Doesn't every office have a Will & Kate in the hallway? And no, I haven't the foggiest clue why it's there.

Running:
Next up, in big (and I mean HUGE) news, I got up at 5:30 and ran outside this morning. Tuesdays are my crazy days, because I'm taking a two month training class that requires my presence all day. Yippee. That means that lunch time runs are out. And, because my training plan called for my first run of the 1/2 marathon training, I had to get 4 miles done this morning. So, I did it. I'll be honest. It was unpleasant to run without any breakfast & no hydration. Mondays are also the boys swimming lessons, so it probably didn't help that I ate dinner at 5:00 last night, meaning it had been just over 12 hours since my last meal. Combine that with being dehydrated, & I struggled. All of that said, I'm super thrilled that I got up & put in the miles. I think I can figure out the fueling issue and make morning workouts happen. And quite frankly, I'd rather pee my pants than run being that dehydrated again.

Also, word to the wise. If you just wake up & stumble into the kitchen looking to grab something to throw down your mouth on your way out the door, Power Bar Protein Bites are not the best choice. I had one and that thing stuck in my throat for the entire run. It was not awesome.

On to the run details. I did 4.12 miles in 45:21 minutes. Super slow pace. I was actually 3 minutes behind my 5K pace and I know that it had everything to do with fueling. Good lesson for me. I walked for about .60 of a mile in total, broken into chunks to catch my breath. I will say that running in the morning was actually really enjoyable, fueling issues aside. It was quiet & peaceful, & it wasn't raining. My route takes me through a park, around a mini pond, and then back again to my house. It's nice & there are a few small hills to battle. My goal is to finish the same run in 40 minutes on my next go. I actually am pretty confident I can do it with proper food and water.

Food:
I had a pretty good eating day yesterday, & stuck to my calories as planned. I ate 6 servings of vegetables & 3 servings of fruit, so I need to work on boosting that up. The only really "empty" calories I had were the handful of animal crackers I ate while packing the kids lunches.

  • Breakfast - coffee, strawberries, 1 small piece of light zucchini bread, 1 tbsp feta, 1 tbsp strawberry preserves, & 1 piece of Persian bread
  • Snack - 1/2 protein bar
  • Lunch - dried fruit & nuts, rice & beans, 1/2 of a salad with turkey
  • Dinner - Spinach salad with balsamic chicken & cottage cheese
  • Snack - handful of animal crackers, apple
Outfit:
It wasn't raining when I left the house this morning, so I took that as my cue to dress as though it's spring time. And yes, I was trying to match my sweater to my toenail polish. Even though my chip is getting bigger every day.


 

ETA: I found the shoes on the Seychelles website, and even though mine are last year's version, they look pretty much identical to this, but in plack patent leather. I didn't want you to have to go by my terrible photo. :-)

Details:
  • Pink sweater - Audrey, Jcrew
  • Blank tank top - Ann Taylor Loft. I swear that I have 4 or 5 black tanks from Ann Taylor Loft that are all slightly different. I don't wear the same shirts 3x/week, I promise
  • "K" necklace - courtesy of my sister
  • Jeans - Chip & Pepper
  • Black patent sandals with cork heels - Seychelles (Nordstrom)
  • Chipped pedicure - courtesy of running 

Question for you: if you run in the morning, do you get up early enough to eat/drink/digest before you head out on your run?

I'm thinking that I may have to get up at 5:00, eat & drink, then run around 5:45. It will be tight depending on the length of my run, which means I'll need to pick up the speed. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I can't run at all on an empty stomach. I know some people who can but I NEED something in me before I can exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always eat before a run. If I run super early like you, I just do something really small like a Clif bar or a banana and then eat a real meal after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your run this morning!

    I prefer morning runs but I cannot function without caffeine. For reals! So, I have that and then what I eat depends on how far I run. If my run that day is under four miles, I have some fruit. If its over four, I go with a luna bar.

    ReplyDelete