Wednesday, March 9, 2011

30 minute run

I've been thinking about signing up for a half marathon this summer (<--who is this crazy woman, and what have you done with the mellow, elliptical loving woman I once knew?!) & I started reading about how to train for it, how long to allow yourself if you're basically starting from nothing, & everything I read said you needed to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping. Which is something I've never been even reasonably close to doing.

So tonight? I got on the treadmill & ran for 30 minutes. Without walking. 30 minutes. I even bumped up my speed to 5.2 (promise not to laugh if you're an extremely fast runner). And I did it!! I ran 2.57 miles without stopping.

And tomorrow? I'm signing up for the half marathon this summer. I don't know what's stopped me from running before. I feel like a million bucks right now.

Here's what I did tonight:
-Focused on 5 minute increment blocks. This worked for the first 25 minutes. After that, I was pretty much stalking the treadmill in 10 second blocks. Towards the end, I just kept telling myself, you've made it this far, why give up now?
-Ate dinner at 4:00 so I could run immediately after I got the kids to bed at 7:30. That was the only free time in my schedule tonight, & I just did it. I'm a newbie, so if I eat too close to a run, I still hurl. I'm hoping to move that time up, because it does mess with my meal schedules when I'm planning a run.
-Told myself that I was going to do it tonight, even if I had to slow way down. I didn't need to slow down, but I just kept reminding myself that tonight was my night.

Booyah, 30 minutes!!! Anyone else thinking of doing this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment